Wednesday, January 03, 2007

One Nice Green Leaf

I am guessing that most of you are familiar with the story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle, but for those who aren't, here's the scenario. A cute little caterpillar is born and he spends a few days eating some nice leaves and fruit, and then one day he goes on a binge and eats through a pile of crap: chocolate cake, ice cream, salami, lollipops, etc. And he winds up with a stomachache. The next day he eats through "one nice green leaf" and then he feels much better.

Shortly after we arrived home from a week of holiday meals and treats and travels and sleepless nights full of coughing children, DH poured some raisin bran and some vanilla soy milk into a bowl and he told me, "I'm having one nice green leaf." I knew exactly what he meant.

And so, my New Year's resolution is to eat some nice green leaves: literally and figuratively. Amidst the stress and the responsibilities and the treats and the chocolate, I'm going to be sure to leave room--no, to make room--for the healthy and the moderate and the simple.



And, oh yes--I'm going to learn to play this.

It is green, after all.




~More details about Flea Ukuleles can be found here, although this particular color can only be found on the Dan Zanes website.~