Saturday, March 19, 2005

Spring Detritus (Some Odds and Ends)

Remember a while back, when I posted pictures of the mittens I knit for my daughter? Well, a few weeks ago, after arriving home from Sesame Street Live on a very cold evening, one mitten was AWOL. I was pretty sure that we did not leave it at the huge civic center, but it was not in my friend's car where Zoe swore that she took it off. I looked in our driveway and front yard, but it was pretty snowy (and dark) and I couldn't see it anywhere. I was very bummed, especially because the tragedy could have been prevented if I had simply gotten around to attaching the darn mittens together with a string. (Zoe very sweetly said, "I'm sorry, Mama, but now you can knit another one!)

Wonder of wonders, guess what I found on the curb outside our house this morning. Right where there used to be a large snowbank.

I'll spare you the pictures of me doing the happy dance outside my house, waving around a single handknit mitten. But maybe, just maybe, it means that things are looking up around here.

And it definitely means that I'll be crocheting a long string, very soon.

~/~~/~~/~~/~~/~~/~~/~~/~~/~~/~~/~

In other news, there is shrug knitting happening in the blogosphere. Collette has cast on with some spring green Reynolds Saucy: what a great color! Mattie is cruising along with her blue 1824 cotton; she may be the first one to finish. Pam ditched the pattern in a burst of creativity, going on to create her own version of the shrug, but she's run into some problems; go on over and give her some moral support. Beth is worried that she's behind (and she's having a bad week), so she could also use some support. I don't think that Violet has started yet, but go check out her Shoalwater Shawl. ( I think that this pattern is going on my "someday soon" list.) If any of the rest of you have updates for me, please send them along!