Friday, April 18, 2008

Happy Earth Day

This week I finished a project that will be donated to the annual silent auction at my UU society. Just in time for Earth Day, I present Mother Earth:


This is the first figure I have designed completely on my own. I began with the basic proportions and techniques I used to make Father Christmas, but then went off on my own path. Since I am a newbie felter, the final product didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned, but it's close enough to please me. I wanted her to be reminiscent of a tree rising out of the ground, and my seven year old daughter described her that way without any prompts from me. (Okay, she didn't use the word "reminiscent", but she had the general idea.)


She stands about nine inches tall and is made entirely of wool except for one pipe cleaner (in her arms) and her bead necklace. Her hair is made of gorgeous Lincoln locks purchased from SplitRockRanch on Etsy. It took me about nine hours to make her. And oh, I still have so much to learn!

I will be sad to see her go. In fact, if she does not receive adequate bids, then I plan to buy her myself.