Monday, February 20, 2006

Sometimes Life Gets In The Way Of Your Knitting

The Olympic Knitting Project was on track.

Can you guess what it is?

And then life happened.

My father is in the hospital with congestive heart failure. This is not entirely unexpected, as he has not been feeling particularly well lately and he has a history of heart disease (two heart attacks before he turned 40, and then a triple bypass in 1991 at the age of 51). Nonetheless, it is alarming. He is currently stable and fine (and complaining about the hospital food, which is a good sign!), but he will need some sort of procedure--not yet determined--in the next few days.

The hospital is 2.5 hours from here. And I am not there yet, as my nose is running like a faucet (such perfect timing!) and I do not wish to share those germs with him and my mother. I was hoping to drive up today, but it looks like tomorrow may be a better bet. Yesterday was a whirlwind of arranging childcare for the week, so that DH can work at least some of the time if I am away. Of course it is a school vacation week, so my elder daughter's school is closed; thankfully my younger daughter's daycare provider can help us out a bit. DH has never been alone with the girls for more than 24 hours, so this week will be a challenge for all of us. I know he will do fine, but I'm glad that his parents were already planning to be here for a couple of days at the end of the week.

Today I will go into work and get caught up on a few things so that I can skip out the rest of the week. It is a terrible week to be out because my supervisor is away and she is the only one who can cover for me, but hey--other people's mental health crises can wait, right? (I'm referring to my coworkers as well as my clients, lol.) Then I will have to clean up the yarn guest room so that my in-laws have a place to sleep.

So I will probably not be a gold medalist in the Knitting Olympics, but there may be some sanity-saving knitting happening during all those "hurry up and wait" moments at the hospital. Please keep your knitting needles crossed for my dad.