Monday, February 06, 2006

Round and Round, Ups and Downs

On Saturday I rose above my inherent shyness and went to my first meeting of the Nutmeg Spinners. And everyone was friendly and no one made fun of my spinning techniques (or lack there-of). Which, you know, is to be expected among fiber folk, but it is always a challenge for me to walk into large groups of people where I don't know anyone. Thankfully, this large group was full of people with spinning wheels and spindles and knitting needles and handknit socks, and that always makes me feel more at home.

There was the annual guild auction, which included all sorts of fiber odds and ends: vintage crocheted acrylic shawls (bright green, of course), boxes of knitting needles and patterns, a used Ashford drum carder, and even an antique walking wheel. In hindsight, I'm glad that I left my checkbook at home because I would have been tempted by several of the offerings. (And Cate, it's really too bad that you couldn't make it, as there were some lovely fleeces in the auction and I know how much you need new fleeces.)

There were vendors.

So, of course, I had to purchase a little something as a memento.








And this Romney/Mohair blend just followed me out to the parking lot and jumped into my car. Rather nervy move, if you ask me.












After the guild meeting, things went downhill. We are now dealing with our second round of stomach flu this season, and my five-year-old has been very ill and miserable since Sunday morning. I am exhausted and crabby, and I feel overwhelmed by the drudgery part of motherhood today. I have also had three calls from work, all of which could have waited until tomorrow when I will actually BE at work, but that's another story. The only saving grace is that DH is home this afternoon so I am going to head out for a walk, All By Myself, to try to get my head back into a good space.

However--the reason that he is home? Because a big chunk of ceiling fell into a hallway at his office on Friday, and the powers-that-be have closed the building until a structural engineer can check things out. We're talking a big chunk of ceiling here, as in cinder blocks and the like, not just a few plaster flakes. So--as if I don't have enough to worry about, I now have to worry about the ceiling falling in on my husband while he's sitting in his cube at work. (Which sounds like a Dilbert cartoon, no?)

I wonder if he'd agree to wear his hardhat while sitting as his desk.