Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Like Riding A Bicycle

At long last, I rescued my cute Kiwi spinning wheel from the spare room, and I cleaned and oiled it. And then I stared at it for a while and tried to remember how everything worked. (As in, "Why isn't the flyer spinning? Oh yes, I need to attach the drive band.")

It's been about six year since I did any spinning. I took a deep breath and sat down at the wheel. And, predictably, my first attempts were not pretty. I was beginning to despair of ever creating usable yarn when, for just a moment, everything clicked.



It's overspun and much too thin in places (meaning it will snap when I try to ply it). My drafting technique (if you can call it that) would make more experienced spinners laugh uproariously. But hey! It's yarn!

And so now I'm wondering if using a double treadle spinning wheel counts as exercising. (Maybe if I put it on the slowest ratio and treadle really fast I could get my heart rate up....)