Monday, January 24, 2005

Blizzard Reading

Got snow? You betcha--but thankfully not as much as other parts of the state. We "only" got about a foot. I usually love it when winter storms fall on weekends, as there is no pressure to try to shovel out and get to work; and I love the feeling of being snug and cozy in my home while the snow whirls outside. However, the temperatures have just been too cold to get out and enjoy the snow with the kids, so we are all starting to have a bit of cabin fever from being housebound!

Thanks to the mail carrier, at least I had some good books to peruse during the storm:


I gave in to temptation and joined a crafters book club a few weeks ago. I couldn't resist once I realized they carried both Knitting On The Edge and The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques, as I have been wanting both books for a while. Hopefully they will be worth the cost of increased junk mail in my mailbox, as I'm sure my name and address will now be sold to hundreds of other businesses. So far I am impressed with both books and I think they will get a lot of use. I chose Scarf Style on a whim, having seen some finished creations on other websites. I was a little worried that I would regret buying a book of just scarf patterns, but I was pleasantly surprised by the creative and diverse designs. I bought The Idiot's Guide to Knitting as a gift for a new knitter, and it seems to be a passable introduction to knitting (and crochet). No interesting patterns in my edition, though; so I would actually recommend that fledgling knitters buy something like The Knit Stitch or Stitch-n-Bitch instead.

Lastly, I am still waiting for my copy of Stitch-n-Bitch Nation to arrive. Unfortunately, I browsed through a copy of this at the library last week (after I ordered my copy) and I wasn't particularly impressed. I guess that I am getting old and decidedly "un-hip", because most of the designs did not appeal to me at all. I have already arranged to trade my copy for some non-knitting items.

I did get a bit of knitting done over the weekend--more news to come!